Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

Rugby: Manuflattered by England recognition


Tongan international Willie Manu says he is flattered to be considered for an England call-up.He now qualifies for England on residency grounds, having moved to the United Kingdom in 2006 - initially to play for Castleford - and he was brought into England coach Steve McNamara's squad for a get-together in Liverpool this week as part of the preparation for the end-of-season Four Nations series.

"Whilst I will always be proud of my Tongan heritage, I am honoured to have been recognised by the England national team," said Manu.

"I was flattered to receive the call from Steve McNamara to join the players this week and, if I was to be given the chance to play at this level, it would be something I would have to consider.

"To play alongside the best players in the English game whilst challenging the strongest players from the world of rugby league and testing yourself at the highest level is the aim of every professional sportsmen and, if selected for England, this would give me the chance to do that."

."It's a hot potato," said Agar. "If Steve picks him, he'll open himself up for some criticism, but if he picks him and England win the Four Nations, he'll be judged as a hero.

England V Italy Hospitality


Italy V England Hospitality

"Most other sports do it - a lot of players Australia pick have been born and bred in New Zealand - and Willie by rights qualifies for England on residency grounds, as he would in cricket or rugby union.

"What I do know is that he's a player that can win you a game so, from an ability and form perspective, I don't think there's any argument.

"He's a long way off selection but, if he wants to represent England and Steve is prepared to pick him, I think we should support him.

"It's up to Steve," he said. "There is nothing illegal in what he's done and I'll back him in every way I can because I want England to do well.

"Whoever is coach, the selection wouldn't please everybody. You've got to accept that some selections are easier than others."

"We don't get many opportunities to get the country's elite players together so the chance to work alongside the Royal Marines was really useful.

"All the players involved are potential candidates for selection for this year's Four Nations but that's not to say the final squad will come from this group. It's certainly not a definitive list.

"As well as the boys who are playing in Australia, there are many other players to consider. The door remains wide open for anyone to play themselves into contention for selection over the next couple of months.

"It's not just about ability - Tuesday was all about making sure we continue to develop the right culture for England to achieve international success that we began in last year's Four Nations and continued in the mid-season international."

Buy online Six Nations Hospitality Packages with the best prices available! We are covering in Six Nations 2011 Hospitality and Tickets

England V Italy Hospitality

Italy V England Hospitality

Six Nations Hospitality

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Italy V England Hospitality | TNB